2003 DUEL IN THE DESERT TRIALS
the AZJoad Perspective
October 11, 2003
Ben Avery FITA Event Range, Phoenix, Arizona
Click on photo to enlarge
Fifty-four archers competed in the Arizona Trials. Fifteen were AZJOADs ranging from Yeomans to Juniors.
The one-day FITA was warmer than desirable with temperatures topping out at 95 degrees F under crystal clear skies. Winds were calm. Mike Koistinen ran the lean and mean event for the Black Canyon Archers. Alan Huff and Bob Pian participated as volunteer judges with Mike as DOS. As usual the archers and spectators pitched in to set up and take down. Vivian Koistinen took care of check-in and equipment inspection.
The event was run with one shooting line by limiting each target to three archers each. The last practice end was under way by 8:30 AM. Lunch took place at 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM. The event was over and the team determined by 3:30 PM.
Due to such great participation at the Arizona Trials, we will be sending a full twenty member senior and four member junior team.
Here is the Arizona team Junior Roster:
· Robyn Repp, Junior Female Compound
· Maria Frangos, Junior Female Recurve
· Brandon Hunt, Junior Male Compound
· Michael Mitchell, Junior Male Recurve
Two AZJOAD’s made Arizona’s senior team! Maggie Huff won first place and Lindsay Pian finished in second place on the Senior Recurve Female Team.
· Arizona Trials Senior first place finishers were:
Compound, Becky Pearson
Recurve, Maggie Huff
Compound, Stewart Bowman
Recurve, Foster Gorman
· Three from the Tsaile area of the Navajo Nation made the team, Bekaye, Redhouse and Gorman.
· The Arizona State Archery Association Triple Crown and Field Championship awards were presented.
· Texas State Archery Association’s, Lindsey Carmichael competed as a guest archer fresh off her great IPC Games in Madrid Spain. Lindsey finished fourth in Madrid, just out of the medals. Lindsey plans to compete at the 2003 Duel as a guest also.
· 2003/2004 NAA Board member, Allen Rasor, was introduced.
· Newlyweds Levi and Debbie Reed were recognized.
The Arizona team will travel to Long Beach, Eldorado Park for the October 25th and 26th, 2003 Tourney to compete against California’s team.
Eldorado Park address: 7650 E Spring St., Long Beach, CA 90815-1618